In this era, tech wins it all. Almost all provinces have their own immigration tech programs or in-demand occupations, not even mentioning the golden Federal program: the Global Skills Strategy which allows a Canadian employer to bring tech foreign workers – anywhere in Canada – within 2 weeks. Canada’s tech sector is increasing faster than the supply.
Let’s dive in.
1. GLOBAL SKILLS STRATEGY – Global Talent Stream
Benefit from a 2-week processing and obtain a work permit if the foreign worker:
- will hold one of these positions: computer and information systems manager, computer engineer, information systems analyst and consultant, database analyst and data administrator, software engineer and designer, computer network technician, information system testing technician
- as a manager or professional (vs. technical, front line jobs)
- will receive a minimum salary meeting the prevailing wages
- is applying from overseas.
- will hold any position as long as it is unique and specialized
- will receive a salary above $80,000 CAD annually (or prevailing wage – whichever is higher)
- can demonstrate at least 5 years’ experience
- the company focuses on innovation and plans on scaling, creating jobs
The work permit can be issued for up to 2 years and will be attached to one specific employer meaning that the foreign worker cannot work for any other employer unless he/she obtains another job offer and reapplies from scratch.
If the foreign worker needs a visa, then you will have to count 2 weeks plus time to issue the visa which varies per country of origin.
The accompanying spouse and dependent children can obtain a work permit, visitor record or a study permit. If their applications are made at the same time as the foreign worker’s application, they will also benefit from a 2 week processing. Otherwise, regular processing times apply.
Since its opening two years ago, the Global Skilled Strategy program welcomed 40,000 foreign workers to Canada, including nearly 24,000 Computer Programmers, Information System Analysts and Software Engineers.
2. ONTARIO – TECH DRAWS
Ontario may select foreign talents for permanent residence which will boost their points to an additional 600 points if:
- they have work experience as a Software Engineer/Designer, Computer Programmer and Interactive Media Developer, Computer Engineer, Web Designer/Developer, Database Analyst and Data Administrator, Computer and Information System Manager
- for at least 1 year
- experience gained in Canada or overseas
- have a bachelor, master or PhD
- English or French level 7
- Have the intention to live in Ontario.
3. BRITISH COLUMBIA – Tech Pilot
Can get a work permit in 2-3 months while waiting for permanent residence if:
- have at least a 1 year full-time job offer
- in 1 of these occupations: Telecommunication Carriers Manager, Computer and Information Systems Manager, Computer Engineers, Information Systems Analyst and Consultant, Database Analyst and Data Administrator, Software Engineer and Designer, Computer Programmer and Interactive Media Developer, Wed Designer and Developer, Computer Network Technician, User Support Technician, Information System Testing Technician.
This is a pilot program presently running until June 2020 and issuing invitations every week.
4. MANITOBA – In-Demand Occupations
- Have a job or have worked in the province in one of these occupations: Computer and Information System Manager, Computer Engineer, Computer Network Technician, Information Systems Analyst and Consultant, Database Analyst and Data Administrator, Software Engineer and Designer, Computer Programmer and Interactive Media Developer, Wed Designer and Developer, Computer Network Technician, User Support Technician
These are just a few available programs.